Nothing can enliven your senses this time of year quite like this refreshing salad of perfectly ripe but firm D’Anjou or Bartlett Pears on a bed of watercress, served with a Blood Orange dressing. In the event you cannot find blood Oranges, simply combine 1/2 cup pomegranate juice with 1/4 cup regular pomegranate juice.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons pure pomegranate juice
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 large bunches watercress, thick stems trimmed
1 head butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
2 firm but ripe pears, halved, cored, each half cut into 6 wedges
1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata cheese, feta or gorgonzola cheese
1/2 cup fresh pomegranate kernels
1 cup seasoned croutons (optional)
1. Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
2. Combine watercress and butter leaf lettuce in a bowl. Pour all but 2 tablespoons dressing over and toss to coat.
3. Divide greens among 6 plates. Sprinkle with croutons if necessary.
4. Arrange 4 pear wedges in spoke pattern on each plate.
5. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing over pears. Sprinkle with cheese and pomegranate kernels.
More great recipes can be found right here.